Sunday 6 October 2013

Sketchbook - Oct 5th-6th '13


Over at the Filthy Moods Rest Home for Restless Cartoonists (Twinned with the Filthy Moods Care Home for Careless Cartoonists) it's been crayons at the ready all weekend. We gotta keep the inmates busy somehow...

Let's see what deranged scribblings the poor souls have produced for their generous portions of bread, water and semi-legal medication in this Special Existentialist Issue of the Filthy Moods Sketching Book...




This upbeat and romantical picture abuses lines from one our greatest popular songwriters in order to justify the trademark smut...



And some token Existentialism...








If I drew Superheroes, they'd probably look like this. So, I did, and they do...













I was asked by a greetings card company recently (No! Seriously!) to work for them. This is just a 10 minute sketch as Hallowe'en is approaching and I was idly kicking an idea or two around the desk...



I was thinking about H.P. Lovecraft and Germaine Greer was talking on the radio in the next room, and I drew this. Why? I don't know.




Trying out different makes of markers and seeing if they don't turn into a muddy mess when put together.



This is titled Science and the Workplace, No 74, but for some beer related reason I cut the caption/title off in the scan...




I, er...






"Unfinished" by sketchbook standards, but I liked the expressions, so here it is...




Another "unfinished" one. Posted here as I've been interested in the Minotaur myth for a long time. Partly because it's seeped into modern culture and thinking via such luminaries as Freud (Sigmund, not Emma) who used the symbolism of the myth to explain sexual guilt and the id (I think that the Ancient Greeks beat him to it though!), and Picasso, who identified with the man-beast/exile aspects. Me? I'm with Pablo, plust this stuff is fun to draw...




Trying to come up with a "simple" style and occasionally I think about doing a "contemporary" strip, but those monsters keep appearing on the paper...




Stay Cool & See you on the next one..!

No comments:

Post a Comment