Tuesday 5 June 2012

Linocut

I think that linocuts became a popular art form around the beginning of the 20th century. The German Expressionist artists used it, mainly, because it was cheaper than making woodcuts.

Today it's still being used by emerging and established artists as a low-tech, low-cost way of making hand pulled prints.

A few years ago I took the plunge and made a few prints. Here's my first one (It's not as easy as it looks!) of a Voodoo Skull printed on some very nice Japanese paper.

While some people say that I should be kept away from sharp objects, such as cutting tools (And others say that I should be kept away from drawing materials altogether) I'm hoping to produce a few more prints, at least. Maybe for flyers for my theatre/comedy stuff..?

Hmm... There's an idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment